Refractive Cataract Surgery Reviews
"Dr. Choi is an excellent surgeon. I had cataracts removed and astigmatism corrected in both eyes. My vision is very good. My dependency on glasses has been greatly reduced. Great bedside manner - very calming, answers questions, spends plenty of time with patients. He even prayed with me before the surgery. Beautiful office. His office is always crowded and that is because of his excellent expertise and personality. Staff is OK. I do trust him to do further surgery if necessary."- G. / Healthgrades / Sep 08, 2016
"Performed cataract surgery on both eyes 5 years ago. My vision improved markedly and has remained excellent to present. His O.D. Dr. Gregory is also excellent and the imaging test equipment including ultrasound is state of the art. They monitor my angle closure glaucoma every 4 months with pressures of 10 in each eye. Vision last appointment (March 2019) was 20/15. Not bad for 76 years old. Great doctors, great office!!!!!!"- Anonymous / Healthgrades / Apr 24, 2019
"Incredible experience! My local Optometerist sent me to see Dr Choi for Cataract Surgery and the care I received was top notch!"- T. / Wellness / Nov 09, 2016
What is Refractive Cataract Surgery?
Refractive cataract surgery is a common procedure that utilizes femtosecond light-based technology to remove cataracts and improve refractive errors. Advanced laser technology is first used to break up the clouded lens (cataract) and then replaces the damaged lens with a premium, artificial one or intraocular lens (IOL) to restore vision. An IOL is designed to correct refractive errors, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and age-related vision loss. By utilizing traditional techniques and modern IOLs, patients are less likely to need contacts or glasses after their surgery. At Young H. Choi, M.D. Eye Surgery Center in Vestavia Hills, AL, board-certified ophthalmologist Dr. Young H. Choi is pleased to offer cutting-edge refractive cataract surgery to his patients. If you live near Birmingham, AL, we invite you to call our office to learn more about refractive cataract surgery.
Who is a good candidate for refractive cataract surgery?
Ideal candidates for cataract refractive surgery are those who have been diagnosed with mild to severe cataracts and wish to correct common refractive errors. This surgery is often recommended to patients who are over the age of 40 and want to decrease their dependency on glasses and/or contacts. During your initial consultation, Dr. Choi will help you choose which IOL will be best for you, depending on your visual acuity, overall ocular health, and personal preferences.
How is refractive cataract surgery performed?
Refractive cataract surgery is considered a premium procedure as it uses state-of-the-art IOLs instead of generic IOLs that are used in traditional cataract surgery. It is performed as an outpatient procedure on-site at our Class-A accredited facility and generally takes about an hour to complete. Dr. Choi will apply a local anesthetic to numb your eye(s) and may offer a mild sedative to help keep you calm and relaxed. Dr. Choi will then use advanced laser technology to create a small incision in the cornea of the eye to remove the cataract and damaged lens. Once this is complete, an intraocular lens (IOL) will be inserted. The femtosecond laser system offers optimal precision and helps reduce treatment times in addition to post-surgical risks compared to the old generation of lasers that are used for traditional cataract surgery.
what to expect after surgery
After surgery, you may experience some mild discomfort and sensitivity to light, but these sensations are normal and will dissipate as your eyes heal and adjust to your new visual acuity. Our office will also provide detailed care instructions to follow at home to ensure optimal healing. A follow-up appointment will be scheduled 1 – 2 days after your procedure so Dr. Choi can check on your progress. We will also want to see you after about one week and then again a month after your surgery to ensure your eyes are healing properly and to test your visual acuity.
Premium Lens Options
Young H. Choi, M.D. Eye Surgery Center offers the following premium, intraocular lenses (IOLs):
- Toric: These IOLs are designed to correct astigmatism, as well as nearsightedness or farsightedness. These implants have different focusing powers with special markers on the lens to enable precise correction of the astigmatism that exists in the lens of the eye.
- Multifocal: These implants focus light in more than one point, which means that patients are able to see objects at multiple distances – near, intermediate, and far. These IOLs provide binocular vision so that both eyes are able to focus at the same power simultaneously.
- Monofocal/Blended Vision Implants: These IOLs correct distance vision in one eye and near vision in the other. This allows patients to see objects both afar and near. Most patients are able to adjust quite well to this method, but Dr. Choi may recommend that patients try monovision with contacts first before moving forward with surgery.
- Trifocal: These are the latest generation of lenses that offer improved vision at intermediate distances in addition to near and far vision. This allows patients to see with ease at all distances, which wasn't possible before with traditional IOLs.
- Trifocal Toric: These lenses help focus incoming light onto the retina to reduce or eliminate severe astigmatism. They also provide a full range of visual acuity and reduce the risk of unwanted light sensations, such as halos, flashes, and glares.
Is refractive cataract surgery covered by insurance?
Since refractive cataract surgery is considered a high-end, elective procedure, it is traditionally not covered by insurance. If patients opt for conventional cataract surgery, most insurance plans provide full or partial coverage. During your initial consultation, we can provide an estimate of your costs so you can plan accordingly. Our office also offers CareCredit to help make your treatment more affordable.
premium eye care
If you are over the age of 40 and are suffering from cataracts in addition to poor vision, we invite you to call Young H. Choi, M.D. Eye Surgery Center in Vestavia Hills, AL. Our boutique facility offers premium ocular care to safely and effectively restore your eye health. Learn more about refractive cataract surgery today and the other specialty procedures we offer by scheduling a private consultation with seasoned ophthalmologist Dr. Young H. Choi.